Saturday, October 17, 2009

Deepavali fire works


Happy Deepavali! I was trying to capture some fireworks this evening and was not very successful. Some photos came out really bad which proves that I still need to learn a lot of things. Here is some photos I have taken today.







For those who are interested in the technique used, here we go:
Shutter speed : 1/4, 1/5 and 1/6. The slow speed helped in capturing the trails of the fire work.
ISO : 400 - As the shutter speed values were low, had to increase the ISO.
Aperture : Most of the time f4.
Focal length : 55mm
Lens used : Canon 55-250 with IS.
Camera : Canon EOS 1000D.
Manual focus was used as the light was low and did not have much time getting the auto focus right.
Tripod : Big mistake, Tripod was not used.

All pictures are cropped and re-sized using Picasa. The water mark was done using GIMP.



This is how I managed to mess these shots.
  1. Tried to capture too many different things simultaneously. Most of these things required different settings and most of the time I clicked with the previous settings.
  2. Not using a tripod. I thought it would be difficult to carry the tripod around and I would be able to manage without tripod. Even with Image Stabilization and high ISO, I had to use very low shutter speeds. As my hands are shaky, the pictures got a touch of modern art.
  3. Hurried shots - I wasn't paying attention to what was happening on the ground and was concentrating towards the sky. So when the fireworks went off, I was scrambling to compose the shot.
In a nutshell, the problem was me. Other reasons like Earth's rotation or Global warming do not have anything to do with these shots.



However, the shaky hands have given a little bit of surrealistic touch to the pictures.




This one reminds me of the pictures taken by Hubble telescope.





The next photos will definitely qualify as modern art :-)






3 comments:

  1. Hi Prime,
    Nice photos. Also your comments were funny. Appreciate your sense of humour.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Btw the Anonymous above is me - IBM/RPMS - Hope u remember

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Manoj, thanks!
    How are you? Still in UK?

    ReplyDelete

Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported (CC BY-SA 3.0) License

Creative Commons License
The images and photographs posted in this blog by Prime Jyothi are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported (CC BY-SA 3.0) License.